Crystal Palace 1-2 Watford: Cleverley strike earns win for visitors

Wayne Hennessey may have wished to lie low amid the Football Association investigation into whether he was or wasn't pictured performing a Nazi salute on a night out last week.
Yet the Crystal Palace goalkeeper was forced to come off the bench here when his team were leading 1-0, only for them to go on to lose 2-1.
Hennessey may have been able to do more to prevent the first goal but Tom Cleverley's winner was by no means his fault. The substitute's volley was simply too good to stop.  
Guaita (Hennessey 45), Wan Bissaka, Tomkins, Sakho, Van Aanholt, Kouyate, Milivojevic, McArthur (Benteke 79), Townsend, Ayew (Schlupp 83), Zaha;
Ward, Meyer, Wickham, Kelly
Cathcart OG (38)
WATFORD (4-5-1):
Foster, Femenia, Mariappa, Cathcart, Holebas, Doucoure, Capoue, Hughes (Sema 19) (Cleverley 78), Pereyra (Masina 90), Deulofeu, Deeney;
Gomes, Britos, Success, Quina
Cathcart (67), Cleverley (74)
Femenia, Sema, Pereyra, Cleverley
Paul Tierney 
Roy Hodgson defended Hennessey this week, saying he believed his goalkeeper when he said it was not what it looked like. Whether the FA will buy that remains to be seen.
Palace stole the lead through a scrappy own goal as Abdoulaye Doucoure's clearance cannoned off Craig Cathcart and beyond Ben Foster.
Cathcart made amends in the 67th minute when he headed home a corner, before Cleverley's fine finish secured Watford the three points at Selhurst Park.
Vicente Guaita, Palace's first-choice goalkeeper, may have expected a busy evening as Watford bombarded his goal in the opening three minutes. 
First, Gerard Deulofeu nutmegged James Tomkins then struck the woodwork with his subsequent shot. Then, Roberto Pereyra collected the rebound but with the goal gaping, he hit the same post.
Will Hughes suffered a knock to his head in the opening moments, too. Despite appearing visibly dazed, the 23-year-old was adamant he did not want to be removed or receive treatment.
Watford's medical staff eventually came on to treat him minutes later before referee Paul Tierney, clearly concerned for the player's welfare, called them on again.
Finally, 19 minutes into the match and quarter of an hour after the initial incident, Hughes was told he had to go off, seemingly suffering from concussion.
Watford looked like they would be the ones celebrating the opener before the break. Mamadou Sakho came close to scooping a clearance into his own net, while Troy Deeney directed a header from six yards wide of the target.
Yet it was Palace who pinched the lead, and this one will not rival Andros Townsend's strike against Manchester City for Goal of the Season. 
The ball bounced around the six-yard box, the same way it might when a kid presses the shoot button on his PlayStation controller over and over.
Sakho had a go, then Tomkins had one too. Watford survived those attempts and Doucoure tried to clear the danger, only for the ball to hit off Cathcart and bounce over the line.
Before the break, Guaita was forced off after injuring his left calf, and on came Hennessey.
At the start of the second half, Wilfried Zaha should have doubled Palace's advantage.
The winger had not scored or assisted a goal in his last 12 league appearances but was one on one with Foster. He aimed his shot directly at the goalkeeper. 
Foster was called into action again in the 62nd minute when Luka Milivojevic, Palace's top scorer this season on six, hit a half-volley from 30 yards.
Moments later, Watford were level and it came from nothing. Jose Holebas whipped in a corner, it looped over Hennessey, and Cathcart nodded in. Easy.
Suddenly, it was Craig Cathcart 1, Craig Cathcart 1.
Soon, it would be 2-1. Palace had plenty of opportunities to clear the danger but didn't, and a tremendously volley from Cleverley found the top corner.
There was no way back for Palace. Hodgson says he wants a top-10 finish but that is fanciful, judging by their struggles in front of goal.

No comments found