A MacBook Pro
user has shared images of his device showing that its battery had exploded.
According to the owner, this happened on June 17, just a few days before Apple announced its recall program for older models of the 15-inch MacBook Pro, some of which may have batteries that could "overheat and pose a fire safety risk."
MacBook Pro Catching Fire
earlier by PetaPixel, designer Steve Gagne posted
pictures of the aftermath on Facebook. In the photos, his 15-inch MacBook Pro can be seen with severe burn marks and a gaping hole on its bottom, along with his scorched coffee table.
"Monday night while we were in bed, the battery in my MacBookPro blew and a small fire filled my house with smoke. You can imagine how quickly I jumped out of bed. The sound of it was what first threw me for a loop; but then the smell of a strong chemical/burning smell is what got me," he said.
Gagne also pointed out that the incident may have burned his house down if he hadn't "uncharacteristically left it" on the aforementioned coffee table, as he usually keeps it on the couch or in a basket with notebooks and journals.
On an interesting note, he explained that the laptop wasn't even in use or plugged in when it caught fire. Rather, it had its "screen closed, was unplugged, and in sleep mode."
This could be considered as a case-in-point example of what could happen to users who won't turn in their machines affected by the recall to have their batteries replaced.
Apple's Recall Program
Apple announced the recall of certain 15-inch MacBook Pro units on June 20, saying that the laptops that may have faulty batteries were sold between September 2015 and February 2017.
Users can head on over to the program's dedicated page
to type in their machines' serial numbers and check whether they're eligible or not. If they are, the Cupertino brand will provide a battery replacement free of charge.